Frequently Asked Questions

We know that being a victim of crime is a difficult, complicated, and traumatic process. We know you will likely have many questions while navigating criminal justice system, and we're here to help.

Right now, what would you like more information about?

Post-sentencing overview

Timeline-Overview Created with Sketch. Sentencing Police investigation DA prosecution

What happens after sentencing?

The judge sets the sentence and conditions at the time of conviction. Depending on the length and conditions, the offender either stays in a county jail (if the sentence is less than 1 year) or is transferred to prison (if sentence is longer than 1 year)

If offender on probation

Timeline-Probation Created with Sketch. if offender on probation

You may hear many confusing technical and legal terms that describe an offender’s supervision.

Although there are differences, all types of community supervision have two things in common. First, each offender has conditions he or she must follow. Second, the offender is supervised by a parole/probation officer all of whom work for our Department.

Frequently Asked Questions

+ What are the different types of supervision?

Post-Prison Supervision* is the current legal term for supervision after prison and Probation is the term for supervision instead of prison.

*Prior to 1989, Post-Prison Supervision was called Parole. Parole is still used today if the offender was sentenced to prison prior to 1989. It is the same as Post-Prison Supervision in that the offender has to follow conditions of supervision set by the Oregon Board of Parole and Post-Prison Supervision.

+ How do I learn about the the terms of my offender’s supervision?

To learn the specific conditions of supervision for an offender, please contact his or her probation/parole officer.

Lookup the Parole/Probation Officer

There are also general conditions that apply to almost every offender.

+ Who is the Parole-Probation Officer, and how can I contact him/her? + What can I talk to the Parole-Probation Officer about?

State and federal law limits the information we can give you about an offender. We can tell you:

  • Why the person is under supervision
  • Physical description and age
  • The person’s conviction history
  • The person’s compliance with conditions of supervision and what the PO has ordered

+ Can I affect the terms of supervision?

For post-prison supervision, you may request special conditions (such as “no contact” orders) from the Parole Board before the inmate is released. The Parole Board will make the final decision, and the inmate will have a chance to appeal.

+ How can I be notified about changes or violations of supervision?

You have the right to be notified about probation/parole violation hearings and changes to supervision.

Register with the Department of Community Justice for notifications
Register with VINE for custody change notifications

+ What do I do if I witness the terms of supervision being violated?

Call the Parole/Probation Officer (PO). The PO will conduct an investigation and let you know what comes next. If the activity continues, or if you feel in danger, call 9-1-1.

Lookup the Parole/Probation Officer

Who to Call

Chelsea Penning
(503) 988-2737

If offender in jail/prison

Timeline-Prison Created with Sketch. if offender in prison

After sentencing the offender will go through intake at Coffee Creek Correctional Facility. The intake process takes about three to four weeks at which point, male offenders will be transferred to a long-term facility.

Look up offender status

Frequently Asked Questions

+ What’s the earliest release date?

Look up offender status to see the projected earliest release date.

+ How might the earliest release date change?

Earliest Release Date is not firm until closer to release. It gets updated periodically by counselors. The closer to release, the more predictable this date becomes.

What does Earliest Release Date include?
Earliest Release Date includes the sentence minus 20% Earned Time.

What is Earned Time?
Earned Time is 20% credited at the beginning of the sentence. Earned time can be lost due to infractions and counselors update earned time periodically.

What are some other programs that may move the date earlier than that?
Short Term Transitional Leave can subtract up to 90 days in addition to earned time for certain offenders. To learn more visit the DOC FAQs.

Are there other programs that may allow the offender to spend time in the community?
There are Alternative Incarceration Programs available in three institutions in Oregon that allow a small number of offenders to undergo treatment in the community. If they graduate these programs successfully they will be released earlier in addition to earned time.

+ How can I be notified about changes or release? + How can I find out about parole hearings and decisions?

You have the right to attend and/or speak at a parole hearing. Inmates will only have a parole hearing if one of these applies:

  • They were sentenced to a crime before November 1st, 1989
  • They were sentenced as a "Dangerous Offender"
  • They were convicted of aggravated murder
  • They were convicted of murder before June 25th, 1995
Register with the Board of Parole and Post-Prison Supervision for parole hearing notifications. Their Victim specialist, Robyn Masella, will get in touch with you and help you prepare and navigate the parole hearings process.

Who to Call

For questions about state prison

Saydyie DeRosia
(503) 934-1113

For questions about county jail

Chelsea Penning
(503) 988-2737

Victims’ Rights

Your right to justice includes the right to a meaningful role in the criminal or juvenile justice process, to be treated with dignity and respect, to fair and impartial treatment, and to reasonable protection from the offender.

Many victims’ rights are automatic although you may need to “tell “someone you want to receive them. Here's a breakdown:

Right to notification

You have the right (upon request) to be notified of

probation violation hearings
Register with Department of Community Justice

release of an offender from prison, 30 days prior
Register with Board of Parole and Post-Prison Supervision

You can also register with VINE. VINE can call, text or email you of offender custody change. For example, you’ll receive a message if they get arrested, released from jail, move to a different county or change which office they report to. It’s a service that victims and any interested party can sign up for anonymously.

Right to financial assistance

You have the right to financial compensation. There are several types, including:

Restitution (money to help cover the cost of the damage the offender caused) may be ordered by the judge to be paid by the offender. Restitution is an automatic right.
Learn more about how restitution works

Victims' Compensation for medical, counseling, and other costs as a result of certain crimes is available through the Oregon Crime Victim's Compensation Program.
Apply for Crime Victims’ Compensation

Victims of domestic violence may be eligible for financial help from the Department of Human Services

For trial appeals and attending parole hearings, you may qualify for a special type of Crime Victims' Compensation to pay for travel and counseling expenses

Frequently Asked Questions

+ Having trouble collecting restitution?

Though an automatic right, it is one of the most challenging to enforce. Restitution is ordered by the judge and collected by the courthouse so the'll be able to talk more about it.
You can call the local courthouse (503) 988-3269

Right to privacy and protection

You have the right to be privacy and protection including:
keep personal identifiers (for example phone number and address) from the offender

Frequently Asked Questions

+ What if I’m being harassed by an offender on supervision?

If you are in danger or need to report a new crime, call 9-1-1.

For less urgent concerns, you can call the offender's Parole/Probation Officer (PO). The PO will conduct an investigation and let you know what comes next. If the activity continues, or if you feel in danger, call 9-1-1.

If being harassed by a youth offender or the youth’s family, contact the police to file a report, report the incident to juvenile’s assigned court counselor or notify the Victim’s Advocate in the District Attorney’s Office at Juvenile Court.

+ How do I get a restraining order?

A restraining order is a court order which requires someone else to stop an undesirable behavior such as contacting you, being near you, or living with you.

Depending on who you are looking to file the restraining order against (the “respondent”), there are different qualifications, and the respondent will have a chance to contest the restraining order in front of a judge.

A restraining order can be obtained in one day, if you begin in the morning. The process usually takes several hours.

The best way to get a restraining order in Portland for intimate partner violence is to go to the Gateway Center at:

10305 East Burnside Street
Portland, OR 97216

Pick up a free set of blank Restraining Order forms at the:
Family Law Clerk
Multnomah County Courthouse
1021 SW 4th Avenue, Room 211

Bring identification with you.

The Office is open from 8am to 5pm. The Family Law Clerk is available between 11am and 12:45pm to help you fill out the application and answer any questions. If you turn in your completed forms before 12:45pm, you will go before the judge at 1:30pm the same day.

After the judge grants the order, the Court Clerk will work with you to determine how it will be served on the respondent. If the respondent opposes the order, he or she must notify the court to set a hearing date. Please keep the court informed of your address so you can be notified of a hearing.

Restraining Order Violations
If the respondent does not obey the Restraining Order, call 911 or the police non-emergency number. Tell police you have a Restraining Order and need their help enforcing it.

If you want to drop the Restraining Order
If you decide you want to drop the Restraining Order, go to the Family Law Clerk’s office and fill out a form asking the Judge to vacate (remove) the Restraining Order. If the Judge signs the Order, give copies to the Family Law Clerk and the Sheriff’s office. The Restraining Order will remain in effect until the order to vacate is signed.

Who to Call

Offender's Parole/Probation Officer

Rights in special cases

There are additional rights of special cases. Right to:

  • (for victims under 18 at the time of the crime) request special post-prison conditions

All community services

Community advocates may be entitled to confidentiality privilege, many are.

Domestic Abuse Hotline
(800) 799-7233

Call to Safety Hotline
(503) 235-5333

Legal Help
Legal Aid Services of Oregon
(503) 224-4086
National Organization for Victim Assistance
(202) 232-6682
National Crime Victims’ Center
(800) 394-2255

All justice system services

Advocates in the justice system are not entitled to confidentiality privilege, unlike community partners.

Multnomah County Department of Community Justice
(503) 988-3701
Multnomah District Attorney’s Office - Victim’s Assistance Program
(503) 988-3222
Multnomah County Small Claims Court
(503) 988-3022

Oregon Crime Victims’ Compensation Program - Adults and Juveniles
(503) 378-5348
Multnomah County Circuit Court and Family Law Center
(503) 988-3943

Multnomah County Police Departments

Gresham Police
(503) 618-2318

Fairview Police
(503) 674-6200

Portland Police
(503) 823-3333

City of Portland Police Department Records Division

Troutdale Police
(503) 665-6129
Fairview Police
503-674-6200 (police records)

Tri-County Sheriff’s Offices

Clackamas County Sheriff
(503) 655-8218

Multnomah County Sheriff
(503) 255-3600

Washington County Sheriff
(503) 629-0111